Playing Destiny 2?

Destiny 2 has been out for a few weeks now. There has been a lot of hype, articles, and plenty of commercials pushing this game. When the first Destiny came out I remember being excited to play a MMORPG again. I had played WoW for several years and put it by the wayside simply because I didn't have time with a young child and a demanding job. This was essentially going to be my fix. I understood that the game wasn't going to be as demanding as WoW and that it was going to be on a lesser content level.



I get it. Destiny was something to cater to casual players and some hardcore. The initial game was great. Destiny was and still is a solid shooter. This aspect still carries over into Destiny 2. I thoroughly enjoyed the $60 I spent on the game. There were aspects I did and didn't like. For example, I don't really like the engram system. I don't think almost all the loot should be based on RNG. Limiting the table for strikes and certain hard missions would have improved the experience and the satisfaction of actually getting better gear. It would also better reward the players who put the time in to finish a difficult mission or strike making it more important to learn how to play those strikes and missions effectively. There were some balance issues in PVP as well which irked me but the basic game I enjoyed. At least I enjoyed it until the first DLC.

Bungie mishandled the first 2-3 DLC packages. $20 for the amount of (or lack of) content we received was abysmal. Anyone who's played an MMORPG has an expectation for paid expansions and DLC. For WoW you get 5-10 new levels, a bunch of new areas, quests, raids, dungeons, etc. Even Never Winter by D&D offers a lot of content for being free to play. Expectations by me were dashed. I wasn't going to spend more money on something that gave me back less than what I felt I had spent. A lot of people felt that way. By the time The Take King had launched many people were done. I know of two friends who continued to play off and on. The rest of us quit even though TTK had addressed many of the issues that had come up earlier.

Bungie's response time to the issues is what burned many of us, including myself. I just didn't want to dedicate my time to a game who's developer knew of issues and decided to ignore many of them to the last minute. 

Now Destiny 2 may be completely different. I don't know. I haven't given it a chance and I won't, but I do see many of the same complaints on forums and article comment sections. My Xbox friends list has two people that I see playing the game consistently. That's down from the 10+ that used to populate the list during the original game. 

Like, I've said, I see a lot of hype and high scores from critics for the game so far but that was essentially the same during the original's base game. Maybe Bungie will figure it out this time around. If they and Activision are smart they'll get some advice from Blizzard. 

I don't know where this game will be in a few months. Cynically I hope I'm right and they'll screw up, but part of me hopes it makes it so I might be tempted to come back.

Comments

Popular Posts